Welcome
Welcome to cosmicforge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Do you still plan to update / add features...

Discussion of features of *CF* for Wizardry 6 and Wizardry 7.

Do you still plan to update / add features...

Postby Overfiend1981 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:20 pm

...to Cosmic Forge regarding editing Wizardry 7?

Just curious about what might be possible - overcoming some limits would be great.

As in limits for stats (20 - and how they affect various things for both PC and mobs), monsters limits (numbers in formations, numbers of formations etc), new spells, removing event / loot entry limit etc.

Not sure what's possible but just wondering if the August 2015 version for the CS you consider final - or will you continue to update it?

Kind regards
Paul
Overfiend1981

Re: Do you still plan to update / add features...

Postby Overfiend1981 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Also number of attacks / swings, multiple spell casting, new special attacks come to mind too. ;)

Just throwing ideas around, really.
Overfiend1981

Postby madgod » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:21 am

If anything interesting pops up, I might do it despite having literally no time.
- Stats limits for chars would be relatively easy to break over 20, the issue would be balance. IMHO 20 is good enough. Assuming you can only increase up to 18 when leveling up and the rest is magic.
- Monster stats already go up to 90.
- Monster limits are VERY hard-coded and would be near to impossible to change properly.
- I think I tried to remove the limit for spells, but it didn't end well. Their spell functions are switch-based with inline code and are partially duplicated over different OVR files.
- Event and loot entry limit is also not very pleasant thing to deal with, though might be possible. But the benefit of the change is unimportant IMHO.
- Number of swings is increased to 20 form monsters (makes sense to floaters, for instance).
- Number of attacks is somehow STRONGLY hard-coded. I don't remember by I didn't increase it for monsters - there MUST have been a good reason.
- Thought about special attacks, but really you can only have them as many as special effects, right and those things are VERY hard-coded. Just giving them different unique names wouldn't cut it.

Check the 'Patches' available in CF if you haven't yet. There are some cool things.
madgod
Site Admin

Postby kyrnn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Speaking of update / adding features, did you consider about adding all nifty features you added to Wiz7 DOS to Wiz6, such as race and classes enhancement? So, races and classes can be uniform similar across the games?

Also, I noticed that Rest features has been removed, any reason for that? Am curious to the logics behind it.
kyrnn

Postby madgod » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:57 am

W7's combat has been seriously revamped if you apply all patches.
W6 has slightly different engine, although very similar.
I have already implemented a number of patches for W6 that mimic or come close to W7's.
But I doubt I can do as much for W6 as for W7.
If you have some ideas, let me know, I can assess them.

Old rest algorithm was a big cheating - I failed to find a good middle ground back then.
The current W7's algorithm is much better (the patch is there, just different).
madgod
Site Admin

Postby Overfiend1981 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi Madgod,

Thanks very much for all information - it's been a while since I checked CForge.

Now attempting another playthrough with all (most of them) patches applied, no class-change permitted party.....and my own modded mobs / encounter / items stats ---> much harder.

I guess after finishing the game about 15 times over last 20 years I'll still don't get tired of it....wonder why. :) It's a real shame that source code for this is no longer available anywhere....I bet programming / modding community would jump over this, having (with source code and your editor) a complete framework for making a new wizardry games ;)

Thanks again for the effort to reply.
Overfiend1981

Return to *CF* for W6/W7